Monday, January 2, 2012

Job Search

The job search is nerve racking!!

The previous year I had worked as a teachers aide and I loved it but navigating my way into an actual teaching position was difficult. Best advice that can be given is just hang in there.

I really wanted to teach at the school I had been working at. My own child was going to start kindergarten there that year, plus I loved the school and especially all the other teachers there. Unfortunately with budget problems all over the state I was nervous about getting a position. The school I worked for was no different. Perviously the school had had a writing teacher position for each grade, but this year they took away the position for grades who would not take a writing assessment test. At the end of year meeting the superintendent said there would be no lay offs but they would try to save money by eliminating positions through attrition.

By the end of the summer I was getting ready to start another year as a teachers aide when I finally got the call for an interview. The position was science with coaching. I did not want to coach but would do anything for a teaching position at this school. I went in for the interview and it went well, but at the end the principle asked me if I would rather teach 7th grade science or 5th grade history. I couldn't believe it. I had planned and prepared to teach science, but 5th grade history would be without coaching. I had never expected a history position to open, so I had not even considered that option. In the end I went with history and I got the job! I am so glad I did. Teaching this year has been the most rewarding year of my adult life.

No comments:

Post a Comment